– 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
– 3 tablespoons of butter
– 3 tablespoons of flour
– 1 1⁄2 cup milk
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1 dash of cayenne pepper
– 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
– 1⁄2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
– In a small saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour.
– Leave to rest for a minute.
– Add all the cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
– Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
– Cook the sauce over low heat until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
– Reduce the heat and stir in the cheese.
– Place half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 1-quart casserole dish.
– Pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
– Repeat with the second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
– Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
– Garnish with a little paprika for color.
– Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.